Within the 2nd grade curriculum, writing can be enhanced with the use of technology and blogging. Students come into 2nd grade with enough writing experience to be able to create narratives. We create many different types of writing pieces throughout the year and, as teachers, we enjoy publishing big writing pieces for students’ portfolios. Some of our big writing pieces are personal narratives, historical fiction pieces, informational texts, how-to books and biographies. As an International Baccalaureate School, we will soon be required to create pieces each year that are part of students’ traveling portfolios that will end up in a 6th grade exhibition of writing. With that being said, many teachers are wanting to access more forums online to help digitize student writing in order to, eventually, have digital writing portfolios that travel with students up to 6th grade.
This year, right off the bat, my
students and I jumped into our Role Model Unit.
We handwrote many pieces about what role models were and how we could be
role models. Then, as a culminating
piece, we used the internet to research chosen role models and wrote biographies. Students had to be taught the process
beforehand and yes, it was a lot of leg work to help students get acquainted
with the safe search engines, but it did work out to benefit their
learning. Students enjoyed writing their
biographies and finding out more information about their role models! We even
had a wax museum where students dressed up as their characters and read their
biographies to their parents. Reflecting back, I do wish that I could have
taught them how to use blogging to better share their ideas with one another so
that more learning and collaboration could have occurred. My students loved
this unit and still love it when I allow them to use different applications and
websites to publish their work.
I have seen a big jump in engagement and
presentation levels from even my most reluctant writers when I have used
technology as a tool for our writing. Currently, I am having students publish
their “How-To” books on Google Slides and they are having a blast. I did have students work with their 5th
grade reading buddies at the beginning of the publishing session so that the
older students could teach my students all about how to add pictures, fonts,
backgrounds etc.
With all of this writing and
publishing going on, I have seen some benefits and possible issues that could
be had with students publishing their writing and ideas on the internet through
blogging. I have heard all about teacher
blogs and have even read, followed and subscribed to a few of them myself. However, I have not thought about student
blogging as a way for students to publish writing. Below I have listed some positives and
negatives about using blogging as part of student responses and writing pieces:
Positives:
- Student Engagement-Like I said before, my students love when I give them a chance to use the internet for writing.
·
Options for differentiating for students that
need help with spelling, speech-to-text, or even predictive text options.
·
Students gain deeper understanding in certain
subjects as they read and reply to other students’ blogs.
·
Great option for student collaborative,
communication and presentation skills.
Issues:
- Students need to have well versed knowledge about digital citizenship and cyber bullying lessons before they begin blogging and research.
- Time needs to be taken so that all students learn each step to take when viewing, replying and creating blogs.
- Safe student search engines need to be practiced and reviewed.
- Students need to be responsible for their searching and creating while on a device. This may require more teacher oversight and re-teaching.
Teachers are creating classroom blogs and sending out
discussion opportunities, articles and books to review. Students are able to log into classroom blogs
and discuss as well as post links to their own blogs as part of their learning
and connections to current learning.
With blogging, students are
provided with an authentic audience to share their work with. Students and teachers can provide responses to student work within a blog and that proves helpful while students are
learning about a specific subject.
Students also learn about online safety, online communication as well as
the different between positive and negative criticism. As students blog, they are able to
communicate thoughts and ideas that they may not feel comfortable sharing
during class discussion. The online
forum provides students a venue to express themselves and show their talents in
ways they may not have otherwise done in a normal classroom sharing session or
book discussion.
Blogging and commenting provide
a slew of genres of writing for students to engage in. When students read a blog they are then
synthesizing information, using textual support when commenting/answering and exercising
providing feedback to their peers. As teachers plan lessons about teaching informative,
descriptive, and argumentative writing, blogging may lend itself to help enrich
students’ understanding. If a teacher
can create a mentor blog of a certain type of writing, students can take it and
run with it in a way that is both meaningful to them and satisfactory to their
teachers in means of assessment. Students also are constantly working on
organization, sentence structure, vocabulary, point of view while they
blog.
What types of online student writing have you used? How has blogging been used as a resource in a primary grade? Have you created rubrics or guidelines within your inline writing endeavors?
What types of online student writing have you used? How has blogging been used as a resource in a primary grade? Have you created rubrics or guidelines within your inline writing endeavors?
The Role Model Unit seems like such fun! I can definitely see how you could incorporate blogging into this unit next year. Students could blog from the perspective of their chosen role model, about their role model, about the process, or all of the above! So many options! I love the idea of using the 5th grade book buddies to train the students in Google Slides. They are proficient and capable. That method will empower the 5th graders, help your 2nd graders, and take the burden off the teacher!
ReplyDeleteI love the Role Model Unit as well! How interesting! And I love the Google Slides idea! I am obsessed with Google Classroom and all of the other Google tools this year! I have been trying to go to the lab as much as possible! It is a great opportunity for your 2nd grade students to have 5th grade helpers! My 5th graders are learning those skills themselves, I could see how having older students to help would be beneficial. Sometimes teaching students to do anything new on the computer is a big task, so many students and only one of you. Older students are great help for this problem!
ReplyDeleteI like that your IBS program makes writing portfolios for students. It would be neat to look back and see how much students grow in their writing over the years. I agree that your Role Model unit sound like fun. I'm glad that your reluctant writers are gaining confidence in their writing through technology! Shelley Calisto
ReplyDeleteWow! I am impressed that you are able to do all of these wonderful activities with second graders. How wonderful that they are able to dig deep into writing and explore different forms of writing and also to reflect on that process. We also use reading buddies, what a great idea to include them in the process and to allow them some ownership in teaching their buddies the particulars of the technological side of things. Using technology is always a challenge with younger students because they need that one on one attention and the use of their buddies solves that problem. Awesome! I can't wait to use it with my class! Thanks for the great ideas and motivation!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! I love your role model unit, it sounds like so much fun. In my student teaching placement, we actually did the wax museum project! It is such a great experience for students. I agree with the fact that teaching students how to blog is going to take a lot of leg work, but I feel like in the end it will be worth it. I think it will help build a classroom community and allow students to collaborate more. I love all of your ideas on how blogging can be incorporated into your classroom!
ReplyDeleteHi! I love the style of your blog! And the name! And the colors! Haha! What an awesome way to talk about writing- a role model unit! And doing the research is a great way to get kids involved in that aspect! I teach Kindergarten, and I know I wouldn't be able to do something quite like this with my Kindergartners, but it does bring up an idea for me about what we do with our third grade reading buddies! I have enjoyed hearing about how you teach at an IB school, and the digital portfolios! We have started using Seesaw for that kind of purpose! Seesaw is also a great way to kind of "blog" too, just a bit more secure! Great post and website!
ReplyDeleteHi. Your role model unit sounds great. I really like the wax museum part at the end. I think its great you are already using a lot of digital resources with second graders.
ReplyDelete